1. Be faithful and practise safe sex.
2. Do not share undies or underwears.
3. Ensure personal hygiene. Take your bath regularly and change the pants at least once in a day or twice as the case may be.
4. Abstain from the prolonged use of a pad.
5. Wear clean and dry underwears preferably cotton not nylon. The reason being that, nylon materials will only make you sweat easily thereby encouraging the growth of germs.
6. When cleaning the part “down down”, do not wipe from back to front but from front to back.
7. Ensure a clean vagina environment.
8. Do not clean the vagina with antiseptics, soapy or salty water.
9. Do not spray perfume around the vagina.
10. Maintain a proper toilet hygiene.
11. Maintain a good urinary habit so that when the urine touches the ground, it doesn’t pick micro organisms and ricochet into the opening.
12. Be watchful of the water splash when in toilets. It is even advisable that you put enough tissue paper in the sink to help prevent a splash.
13. Always wash your hands with disinfectants after toilet.
14. Stay away from immune-weakening conditions. A weak immune system makes the unharmful micro organisms that grow in the vagina become harmful because nothing controls their actions.
15. Stay away from an indiscriminate use of antibiotics. When antibiotics are used for the treatment of an ailment in the body, the antibiotics do not only fight against the micro organisms plaguing the body but also attack the protective bacteria inhabiting the vagina. For this reason, it is expedient that we always seek the prescription of doctors so that we don’t shoot ourselves in the leg while trying to save our heads.
WORDS FROM HEALTH GIST
In case of strange discharge, uncomfortable urination, itching or foul smell, report to your doctor for proper medical attention.
He is a graduate of Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ile-Ife, Osun State, Nigeria.
Yomi Adeyemo is an educationist whose passion lies in enlightening the society- making the unknown known. His hobbies are reading, writing and being around people.