Sleep pattern of poor quality can make you have a non-productive day. If you find it difficult to sleep at night, try the following home remedies:
- Let your bed be your relaxation centre not your work centre. Some people bring their office to bed. If you are the typeof person that brings work to bed, you might have trouble falling asleep thereafter. Instead conclude whatever you have to do before going to bed. Do not forget to sleep until you feel relaxed after work.
- If you find it difficult to sleep at night, then do not take naps during the day.
- Maintain a healthy diet.
- Don’t force yourself to sleep as that can just make falling asleep more difficult. Instead, get out of bed; do something that makes you relax and return when you feel relaxed.
- Do not do vigorous exercise before going to bed or few hours before going to bed. If you would exercise before going to bed then it should be light exercise that can help you relax.
- It might be hard to do, but try to avoid worrying or going over the issues of the day before going to bed as this can prevent your mind from relaxing.
- Do not use any electronic gadget few minutes before going to sleep. As previously stated, the light from the gadgets makes it more difficult for you to fall asleep.
- Avoid eating heavy foods late at night.
- Avoid caffeinated drinks or any other drink that can stimulate the brain before going to bed.
- Your Physician might prescribe some drugs that can help you sleep
Oyewole Ibukun is currently a Medical student of Olabisi Onabanjo University. She has a passion for seeking knowledge with a creative, detail oriented and analytical mindset.